I haven’t created a ton of playlists for books I’ve written. Part of that is that it’s impossible for me to write while I’m listening to music. Music was truly my first language. I was picking out notes on a keyboard from a song I just heard as a toddler and was composing before I could write. So my attention goes to music before anything else. It’s a soul language to me, as cheesy as that sounds. Haha. But music truly speaks to me in a way words don’t.
As I wrote Love on a Battlefield I kept wondering what music Andrew and Shep would be listening to throughout the story. Which songs or lyrics would make them recall what they shared in the middle of a cornfield when they first met? What would pull them back to those two days that transformed their worlds?
A lot of music landed on my playlist before I had to cull it down to the essentials. I think what I ended up gives a great feel for these men.
1. Owl City – “I Found Love”
2. OneRepublic – “Counting Stars”
3. The All-American Rejects – “Dirty Little Secret”
4. Panic! At The Disco – “Girls/Girls/Boys”
5. twenty øne piløts – “Can’t Help Falling In Love”
6. Fall Out Boy – “Sunshine Riptide” (ft. Burna Boy)
7. The Rolling Stones – “Paint It Black”
8. Panic! At The Disco: “This Is Gospel”
9. Green Day – “Still Breathing”
10. Calum Scott – “You Are The Reason”
11. Imagine Dragons – “I Bet My Life”
12. Fall Out Boy – “Hold Me Tight or Don’t”
13. Panic! At The Disco – “Ready To Go”
14. Green Day – “Ordinary World”
15. Justin Timberlake – “Can’t Stop The Feeling!”